Welcome to Omni Nano, a Non-Profit Dedicated to Nanotechnology Education.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to nanotechnology education.
We envision American students educated and passionate about nanotechnology, and inspired to pursue future STEM careers for the greater good of our communities and our nation.
We are committed to making nanotechnology education available to every high school student nationwide, whether in a traditional classroom setting or via online access (distance learning), through the use of our high-quality, yet affordable, curriculum.
Highlights from the 2014 Patrick Soon-Shion Innovation Awards Symposium & Dinner
What is nanotechnology?
Nanotechnology is a rapidly growing field of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics ("STEM"). A highly interdisciplinary study, Nanotechnology embraces concepts from biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, and physics, and encompasses the manipulation of very small materials, called nanomaterials. Click here for a more detailed definition of nanotechnology and here for its applications.
- Disseminating nanotechnology education: Our three projects aim at creating and disseminating educational material in nanotechnology. Our high-quality, student-centered, and interactive educational materials are designed for high school students and college undergraduates – both in-classroom and online – and are aligned to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Contributing to lowering the cost of education: As a charitable organization, Omni Nano has a duty to focus on its mission instead of financial profits. Our curriculum is created to be affordable without sacrificing quality. Omni Nano is reducing production cost of materials by relying primarily on electronic distribution channels.
- Becoming a sustainable organization: Omni Nano plans to become financially sustainable by charging a nominal fee for its nanotechnology curriculum. Generated revenues will be re-invested into the project and utilized to self-support our developmental activities.
What are our projects?
Omni Nano is currently active on three projects:
- Discover Nanotechnology: Under the Discover Nanotechnology Project, we offer free nanotechnology workshops to high schools both locally in the Los Angeles area and around the world via Skype. These workshops aim to expose college-bound students to the technologies of the 21st century and inspire them to become STEM majors in college. If you are an educator, contact us to learn how your school can participate!
- Bridges to Nanotechnology: Under the Bridges to Nanotechnology Project, Omni Nano is bringing nanotechnology education directly into the classroom. We successfully completed our pilot course at premiere California high school 32nd St./USC Magnet School in Spring 2014. By the end of the semester, the number of students considering a STEM career grew tenfold!
- Nanotechnology Curricula: Our Nanotechnology Curricula Project entails producing educational materials to facilitate teaching the fundamental principles of nanotechnology to the next generation of scientists, engineers, and administrators. Our student-centered curriculum is specifically designed to encourage students to focus on science and engineering by incorporating projects that they can relate to and apply to their everyday modern life.
You are welcome to participate in our Blog discussions! Omni Nano's Blog is a place to read, discuss, and share teaching experiences about education in nanotechnology. Read and discuss today's education to better form the next generation of innovators and leaders. This is mostly a blog for STEM educators, in particular nanotechnology educators, but everyone is welcome to participate. Sign up and become a blogger at Omni Nano! Create an account at the footer of this page.
The urgent importance of Nanotechnology!
Nanotechnology is forecasted to be a key growth sector, affecting millions of jobs both directly and indirectly, and producing a multi-trillion dollar economy within a decade. Despite its growing importance, nanotechnology is not regularly and widely taught in high schools and colleges, mainly because of lack of properly designed curricula for high school and college general education classes. Omni Nano will bridge this gap by facilitating the introduction of nanotechnology courses into our high schools and colleges.
Take the nano quiz!
Click here to test your own Nano knowledge! Both beginners and more advanced students are encouraged to try.